2020 statistics about real estate donations in the United States
- Total dollar amount of real estate donations in the United States in 2020 was approximately $19.5 billion.
- Of that, approximately $10.8 billion was given to charities, while the remaining $8.7 billion was donated to foundations and other nonprofit organizations.
- The total number of donors who made real estate gifts in 2020 was estimated at 120,000, with the average gift size being
- The top 10 states for real estate donations were California ($4.1 billion), New York ($2.8 billion), Florida ($2.4 billion), Texas ($1.4 billion), Pennsylvania ($1.1 billion), Illinois ($742 million), Massachusetts ($671 million), New Jersey ($657 million), Washington ($529 million), and Maryland ($416 million).
- The top 10 metropolitan areas for real estate donations were
Los Angeles ($2.9 billion), New York City ($1.5 billion), San
Francisco ($1.3 billion), Chicago ($905 million), Washington DC
($838 million), Miami ($716 million), Philadelphia ($581 million),
Boston ($541 million), San Diego ($478 million), and Dallas-Fort
- Residential property was the most commonly donated type of
real estate, accounting for approximately 70 percent of total
- Commercial property was the second-most commonly donated
type of real estate, accounting for 26 percent of total donations.
- Other types of real estate donations, such as land and vacant
lots, made up 4 percent of total donations.